The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) is a signature effort to invest in the next generation of African leaders. The YALI Regional Leadership Center Southern Africa (RLC SA) is hosted by the University of South Africa at the Graduate School of Business Leadership in Midrand, South Africa. The RLC SA aims to create critical thinkers who can solve complex, multidisciplinary problems; foster entrepreneurial and innovative thinking; and encourage cross-border communication and multicultural collaboration. The RLC SA develops the skills of young African leaders by providing core training in contemporary African issues, as well as specialized training in three key areas: Business and Entrepreneurship; Civic Leadership and Public Management.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Age (18-35)
- Demonstrated commitment to positively impact their communities, countries, and the African continent
- Proven experience and track record in Public Management, Business and Entrepreneurship, or Civic Leadership
- Citizen of: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia or Zimbabwe.
- Ability to commit to a four-week residential training program
- English language proficiency
The program encourages applications from:
- Rural based and economically disadvantaged young leaders
- Young leaders living with disabilities
- People who are HIV positive or who are living with AIDS
- Individuals that represent and advocate for the rights of LGBTIQ communities across the region
- Other minority groups
There is no fee to apply for or attend the program. Successful applicants will be provided round-trip transportation to the program, lodging, meals, and course materials. All other costs will be at the participant’s expense.
Applications for Cohort 10 & 11 are open until 23 June 2017 (23:59, South Africa Time Zone). The program is residential and requires a commitment to attend all sessions, Cohort 10 from 25 September – 20 October, 2017 and Cohort 11 from 6 November – 1 December, 2017. Following the residential program, there is an online project component for three weeks.
To apply, visit the YALI RLC SA website: https://yalisouthernafrica.melimu.com/ For assistance contact: Bento Marcos, Head of Recruitment and Selection, YALI Regional Leadership Center Southern Africa Tel: +27 11 652 0334; E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org