We provide opportunities for training, research, education and networking that strengthen scientific skills and inspire leadership for advancing solutions to critical sustainability challenges. For the past 25 years, our programs have provided scientists in Africa and Asia with skills, resources and networking opportunities. Because of START’s efforts, thousands of program alumni are now creating innovative solutions for a more sustainable world.
The Administrative Assistant is an entry-level position that provides general and financial support of day-to-day operations that strengthen START’s programs, activities, and organizational well-being. Roles include booking and reconciling travel, addressing daily office operational needs, and other duties as assigned. Specifically, this person would provide significant support to our NASA-funded GOFC GOLD program by helping book flights, accommodations, and other travel logistics for the project’s many participants.
This is a unique opportunity as the staff work fully remotely, with only the Executive Director maintaining an office at a downtown Washington, DC, co-working space. While this position would also be remote, they would be expected to work in the office with the Executive Director and other staff on average three days per week.
Specific responsibilities for this position:
- Provide significant support in booking travel (including flights, hotels, and meeting spaces) for program events, especially the NASA-funded GOFC GOLD trainings
- Engage in general administrative and clerical support
- Open, sort and distribute incoming correspondence
- Book travel for staff and program participants, including attendees at various international conferences managed by START
- Prepare the monthly financial files for review by the Director of Finance and external accountants
- Develop and maintain a filing system that is efficient and usable for remote staff
- Scan all documents into online filing system
- Update social media accounts as needed in collaboration with the Communications Specialist
- Submit and reconcile travel and expense reports
- Order office supplies and research new deals and suppliers
- Pay bills and process payments to vendors
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work independently and remotely
- Attention to detail and problem solving
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work across cultures
- Proficiency in office programs (Excel, Word, etc)
- Familiarity with general budgeting, financial reporting and accounting principles
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contacts of at least three (3) professional references to to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 2, 2018. References will not be contacted without the knowledge of the candidate.