Makerere University in collaboration with Eawag, the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and
Technology are implementing a four-year project on integrated water, sanitation and solid waste
management services for small towns in Uganda. The priority research sites will be selected small
towns in Uganda facing these basic service challenges. We are inviting interested applicants for a PhD
scholarship for studies tenable at Makerere University, but with visits to Eawag in Switzerland. The
successful candidate will spend up to six months in Switzerland twice during the PhD program. The
candidate will be co-supervised by staff from Makerere University and Eawag.
Water, Sanitation and Solid Waste sectors are inherently linked and have many interactions between
the respective chains. For example, litter blocks sewers and open pits can contaminate water sources.
With an integrated planning approach, we can reap synergies from co-management, resource recovery
etc., (See1 Narayan et al., 2021). The PhD would aim to develop and test such an integrated planning
approach for basic urban services in small towns in Uganda.
- Ugandan with work experience (1-2 years).
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. environmental engineering or urban planning).
- Proof of full-time availability for the PhD studies for the entire duration (3-4 years).
- Age limit: not older than 40 years of age.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Previous scientific publication experience will be a plus.
- A one-page motivation letter.
- A one-page concept note (Arial 10p) that outlines research topic, enquiry and methods.
- Two recommendation letters with the referee contact details.
- Updated CV of the applicant.
- Copies of MSc and BSc certificates, preferably certified.
- Copy(ies) of previous publications (if any).
Completed applications should be submitted before 12 noon by Friday 11th March 2022 by email to:
Successful candidates will be funded for a maximum of four years. The scholarship will cover tuition,
stipend, research costs, publication costs, travel and living costs in Switzerland.
- Shortlist by 25th March 2022. Interviews by 01st May 2022. Start date: 01st June 2022.
1 Narayan, A. S.; Marks, S. J.; Meierhofer, R.; Strande, L.; Tilley, E.; Zurbrügg, C.; Lüthi, C. (2021) Advancements in and integration of water, sanitation, and solid waste for low- and middle-income countries, Annual Review of Environment and Resources,